Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Becoming Unshakable

Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds his people both now and forevermore.

- Psalm 125:1-2


I know You lead me directly to this scripture Lord. I was reading in Haggai this morning, but feeling like You wanted me to go elsewhere, and the word "Psalm" popped into my head. As soon as I started reading where I'd left off in the Psalms, I knew it was from You because I'd just been praying about having my confidence & security established "unshakably" in You. Also, I just finished telling You that I feel like I'll never see the moving of the mountain in my path – those self-constructed walls of false security that now imprison me. And here You graciously answer both my pleas to You…

Verse 1 of Psalm 125 says if I place my trust in You for my current situation, I will be like a mountain standing forever, established & enduring because of You. In fact, this passage states that if I trust You, I cannot be shaken. Nothing will be able to shake me when I'm rooted in You.

As I write this, it sounds nice & inspiring, and intellectually I say to myself, "Duh Misty – you should know that already." And I do, but applying it is totally different. Practically speaking, You've asked me to specifically trust You in places of fear…

I must trust that You know me inside & out, through & through, and that relationally You know what I need.
I must trust that You have specific plans for my life right now – good works that You've prepared in advance for me. I cannot do everything so I must trust You'll bring me the help I need.
I must trust You'll work out every difficult situation – both at my job & in my personal life – for my good & Your glory.
I must trust that if I cooperate with You, You will free me from people-pleasing.
I must trust that Your perfect love & unconditional acceptance of me will never, ever be based on my performance of any kind, and that it trumps any other acceptance I think I need.

Your word speaks these truths. I must trust Your word.

If I trust You & what You speak, not only will I be unshakable, but You will surround me like a ring of mountains replacing my false securities. You will become my fortress & my security. The full receipt of this promise begins with trust & is established by trust. God help me to dig into the truth of Your word & believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment